Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Farm to Fork....


The outing to the Farmer's Market this weekend netted quite a bit of fresh goodies: peaches, tomatoes, okra, corn, lima beans and one honey stick for my daughter (her weekly request) from the Bee Blessed Pure Honey stand. How can you not love their name?!

I. love. okra. Unfortunately for my waist-line, I like it fried and as often as possible. However, I tried a new recipe last night out of the August edition of Southern Living magazine that showcased okra in an un-fried manner and it was outstanding! I used Chorizo instead of the smoked sausage only because I had it on hand. I think ground turkey, ground beef or cubed chicken would work wonderfully as the meat in this dish. It would be equally good with no meat, to be honest.....or with some pasta! It cooks up very fast, so it's a good last minute meal. Here's the recipe:
  • 1/4 pound spicy smoked sausage, diced
  • 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cups fresh corn kernels
  • 1 cup sliced fresh okra
  • 1 cup peeled, seeded, and diced tomato (1/2 lb.)
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Preparation

Sauté sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until browned. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add corn, okra, and tomato; cook, stirring often, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment