Saturday, September 4, 2010

Beans and Leeks and Peaches, Oh My!!

Humongous, bright pink Hibiscus at the
Farmer's Market this morning....

Yet another gorgeous Saturday morning and another fun visit to the NC State Farmer's Market. I'm so thrilled that my husband now joins me for these little trips and seems to enjoy it as much as I! It used to be only me who would go, which is fine, as I can walk around the market for a couple of hours with no problem. (our Farmer's Market is 75 acres big, so there is plenty to see!) Sal is more a 'get what you came for and leave' type of a shopper. I do coax him through the other buildings though and he'll usually find something new and yummy to try like homemade Chow-chow or jam or two. Either way, it's a fun morning out for hubby and wife. Wife especially likes it because it gives me a chance to snap off some photos. Today they are courtesy of my phone, which I have to say, does a pretty darn nice job in a pinch. You sure can find some gorgeous shapes and colors at the Farmer's Market for sure......

There are loads of peaches still....(new recipe below!)

a sea of peanuts....

green beans....

turnips--I don't eat them, but they take
a pretty picture!

With peaches in such abundance right now, I've been searching for new ways to use them. Peach Bread, anyone?! Try out this recipe!! It is super delicious eaten alone with coffee or with a little cream cheese on top or try it lightly toasted with butter.....ok, I'm drooling now....

Peach Bread

1 1/2 cups sliced fresh peaches
2 cups chunked fresh peaches
6 Tablespoons sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2 eggs
1 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Place 1 1/2 cup sliced peaches and 6 Tbls sugar in electric blender and process until pureed. Mix with the 2 cups of chunked peaches.

In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside. Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar and butter; cream well. Add eggs and mix well. Add peach puree, peach chunks and dry ingredients, mixing only until ingredients are moistened. Stir in pecans (if using) and vanilla. Spoon batter into 2 well-sprayed 9x5x3 loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes or until done. Cool 10 minutes in pans; turn out onto rack and let cool completely
Makes 2 loaves


No comments:

Post a Comment